JOIN 52 COUNCILS THAT SUPPORT MARRIAGE EQUALITY
Scroll below the logos to see instructions on how to join our council support campaign.
Not a council but still want to help? Join 1968 organisations showing their support for marriage equality:
We are asking all Australian councils to add their voice to the growing call for equal rights for all Australians. If your council would like to join in then please use this page to email us:
- a scanned copy of the motion on your council’s letterhead
- your council’s logo
- the web address to which we should backlink your logo
Someone from our organisation may be available to meet with your councillors to discuss why supporting marriage equality on a local government level is important. Please use the contact us page to connect with us.
See below for a model motion but feel free to make changes deemed appropriate to your council.
AN EXAMPLE MOTION
Feel free to use the example motion of support below, create your own original motion or even a mixture of the two.
Council resolves to:
- Publicly support marriage equality irrespective of sex, gender identity or sex characteristics.
- Write to all Federal Members of Parliament and the Commonwealth Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission advising them of council’s support.
- Write to all political parties with representation in the Federal Parliament encouraging them to prioritise debating changes to the Marriage Act and allow a conscience vote on marriage equality; and
- Fly a rainbow flag until marriage equality is achieved at a federal level.